Tuesday, September 18, 2007

4-days and counting


Our 65-mile bike ride is looming nearer.

Here is a profile (also image to left) of our route (elevation and such). Not too bad after the first double-climb. We only get 5 1/2 hrs to finish. This means we have to average about 12-13 mph at least.

John and I went for a 30-mile bike on Sunday. We averaged about 15 mph so it took us two hours. We have been riding a lot lighter than we usually do. We normally average 17-18 mph. We are also on road bikes. I think my dad will do fine on his mountain bike, "Gary" as he did a 40-mile bike out to Grants Pass and back (about a week ago) with a nice pace around 12 mph and that seems to be the first and hardest part of the bike. I still can't believe how much my dad has been biking! I think it's awesome!

It looks as if our weather forecast is going to be rainy. It will be nice to have the cool weather and rain isn't so bad if you have a proper parka. Other than that, watch out for slippery pavement and crazy Oregonians that still cannot figure out how to drive in bad weather.

I think my mom is going to be at one of our rest stops and hopefully the finish so we can get some pictures.


2 comments:

fiona said...

65 miles...wow! I don't think that clicked with me the first time I was reading about your up-coming ride! That's so awesome and so long!! We just unwrapped our bikes and the kiddos' trailer from their miles of paper, it'll be fun to start riding, I think N&B will like it...maybe we'll work up to 65 miles... ;)

Dan said...

Hi Molly
You got to stop talking about this.
This is scary.
This is going to be fun fun fun.
Can't wait to get started on this.
63 look to being a little cool but better then to hot.
Dad