Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Birth Classes in a Jiffy!

The weekend before last, John and I attended what I called our “Marathon Birth Classes”. It was a Saturday/Sunday gig 9am-4pm. We had 12 couples in our class.

Our instructor was Betty, a very spunky older lady who had worked for the hospital for 40-years: 30-years in the baby unit (including 15-years teaching the birth classes). We had a pro on our hands! Boy was she funny. I was glad because my Dr. was wary about the weekend class instructiors, warning me that she had heard they weren’t all that great. I told her I’d let her know what I thought. Betty gets an A++!

The first day we covered all the preliminary stuff leading up to the final stage of birth. We did a bit of breathing and relaxation but not much, which she warned us about – this was a crash course and not centered on breathing techniques. I feel like we still covered the introductions to breathing techniques enough for us to practice at home. John says I'm terrible at it. LOL. Too bad he's not having this kid, he'd probably do much better.


Day two was more about the birth specifically and ending with taking your baby home with a little on home-care. After watching oodles of births from the 70's, John was like, "You should just have a C-Section!"...then we got to watch a Cecarian and he changed his mind back to doing it au-naturale.


This day we got to speak to a pediatritian, Dr. Young, who came by and made a little speal about what to expect and what a pediatritian would be available for, etc. He's a really cool guy. John got the class hooked on a long Q&A about circumcision. 10 of the 12 couples were having boys (including a set of identicl twins). We got his card and decided to go with him. He's got six kids of his own. This guy was hilarious though, he was more of a standup comedian.

Betty had the funniest props such as a babydoll, placenta (made from material) complete with umbilicle cord, a fake female pelvic bone and a bucket with a vagina for a bottom (made from material). lol. Quite entertaining to watch a baby being birthed from the bucket-vagina!

So overall, we had a great time and hey, we got to spend two whole days together (John took saturday off work).

5 comments:

Rochelle said...

How entertaining! I hope you learn to breathe...it's the most important part. I wish I could see the bucket vagina! LOL

fiona said...

Yeah, too bad you didn't get a pic of that bucket, that is definitely...unique-sounding!

fiona said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
fiona said...

Sorry, I posted my comment twice, then deleted it...anyway, also wanted to say, it's so great that you found a pediatrician already that you like! So important.

zachariah said...

I've got some sweet c-section pictures (no nudity except for sliced open stomach) if John still isn't convinced. Don't think I've ever seen so much blood in gore in real life.