Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Organizing 2008

I've had a lot of thought in the past couple weeks regarding the fast approaching, but sneaky new year. I can't believe it's going to be 2008 so soon! I remember graduating from High School (1999) and thinking how funny it would be to see 2010, well, not so much now. OK I'm off my topic...

In thinking about the new year I tend to think of questions like,"what will it bring? what will I do this year?" You're either the type of person that gets all gung-ho over great big goals you are going to accomplish or you say you aren't making goals, but secretly you have little hopes and promises to yourself that well, are realistically goals nonetheless. ;)

Regardless of your choice for '08, we can't help it. It's our trained nature to use the timelines we've been given as starting and ending points. I personally think it's healthy human nature to do so otherwise we might go crazy thinking we can't have a "new beginning" here or a "light at the end of the tunnel" there. Some people just want to make it from the beginning of the day to the end to see a new start in tomorrow. Some use the start of a week or month as a fresh moment. I think I'm a weekly-monthly-yearly type. I tend to make too many or too large of goals for myself too.

My point is coming to the fact that I have a constant desire to be that organized person. I discovered Martha Stewart's website on accident the other day (not a huge fan of her personally, but she has good ideas now and then). I was poking around the organization section (under Home Decor) and found more than a few great tips and easy solutions that will work for me in my house. I was so excited about it, I started compiling all the ideas I thought were useful - I can email this to you if you are interested. Let me know or just go to Martha's website and cruise around yourself.

Clutter drives John mad! *lol* He would stuff pots and pans in the dryer if it would get rid of some clutter. Just kidding! I am constantly cleaning, shifting and trying to re-organize the clutter but it seems to never leave me alone! As a person with many hobbies and interests I brought the majority of the clutter into the household spaces - so I need a working solution for it all.

Getting Started!
To get started with decorating or room ideas, there was a neat, simple item I liked that was labeled as a Decorators Pouch, or what I might refer to as an Idea Pouch.

Simply use clear zip pouches that will fit into a large binder. Use one pouch per room. Collect fabric swatches, paint chips, scratched notes you thought about while daydreaming and jotted on a napkin, room re-layout sketches, measurements, supply lists, tools you may need to purchase before starting, etc. and keep them in the pouch.

This method will help you fully visualize a rooms finished decor, layout and you will more easily be able to:
  • price it out as a whole if you want a smartly budgeted room, this way you can either work on sections of the room at a time buying pieces or tools as you can.
  • carry the zip pouch while shopping specifically for the room or project
  • can help focus spur-of-the-moment spending
You can also use this for specific project ideas that will take planning and pieces to purchase. It is not limited to just the rooms in your house. I plan to use a large 3-ring binder to stash my packets in. I will label each pocket accordingly. If you don't want to go out and buy binder pouches, think of using gallon-size freezer bags (try punching holes in them?).

Hope someone finds this useful. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

3 comments:

zachariah said...

I think I've made new years resolutions many times in the past... bet never follow thru. I don't know what it is, just forget about them within a week or two into the new year.

fiona said...

Getting organized is such a good feeling! I need to do that a bit more...okay, a lot more...I really like the zip pouch idea, that would have been so handy when I was trying to paint rooms/slightly redecorate in VA!

Rochelle said...

Well I win the award for the most disorganized person! I'm always collecting things on bits of paper and laying them in a pile...which gets taller and taller...and then I forget what's in the pile! email me any helpful hints please!