Monday, November 12, 2007

Inchworm: 15 weeks

Inchworm now measures about 4 inches long, crown to rump, and weighs in at about 2 1/2 ounces (about the size of an apple).

Babycenter.com Updates:

  • The baby is busy moving amniotic fluid through its nose and upper respiratory tract, which helps the primitive air sacs in the lungs begin to develop.
  • The legs are growing longer than the arms now, and she/he can move all of her/his joints and limbs.

  • Although the eyelids are still fused shut, the baby can sense light. If I shine a flashlight at my tummy, for instance, the baby’s likely to move away from the beam.
  • There's not much for your baby to taste at this point, but it is forming taste buds.

  • If I was having an ultrasound this week, I might be able to find out whether we’re having a boy or a girl! We of course are waiting until December which was scheduled a bit ago. Hopefully the baby won’t be curled or turned away! That would be disappointing!
My Updates:

I am now an addict of Oranges. None of my cravings seem to turn me into a "crazy pregnant lady" though so I always brush things off as not being a craving...just a food of choice.

I thought this was interesting to note because I seem to have a knock-off symptom of what can happen. Everything regarding the 14-15 week period keeps noting that you can get nosebleeds and not to worry...
"...since hormonal changes and increased blood flow to your mucous membranes. This condition is so common, there's even a name for it: "rhinitis of pregnancy." Some pregnant women also suffer nosebleeds as a result of increased blood volume and blood vessel expansion in the nose."
That said, this morning I had blood in my ear! eek! OK well, before you freak out and give me suggestions it would be good for you to know that (if you don't already) I have a [long] history of ear problems and currently have had a hole in my right eardrum for about a year now. I keep putting off the surgery to get it fixed and may do it next winter if it can wait....that is an entirely different story I can tell at another time if it ever happens. I have promptly emailed the Dr. at OHSU (Portland Oregon) where I started going for new ear treatment last winter. I am hoping to avoid a checkup overall because well, simply put, it's 4-hours away! I'm sure it just has to do with the nose and ear stuff all being connected and well, a hole to boot etc. (cross your fingers).

By the way, a hole in ones eardrum is perfectly fine and it will usually heal itself, but mine do not seem to have that extra little *umph!* to do so and leaves me with getting infections and overall worse hearing than I already have. Oh woe is me. heheh.

2 comments:

Rochelle said...

yikes! maybe your ear is really your nose...somehow when I was cooking you I messed up the ingredients...sorry!

fiona said...

That's handy, being addicted to something healthy like oranges! I heard that craving citrus means you have a little boy in there...or girl...hmmm, well, I can't remember for sure what the rumor is, but definitely one of those! ;) I hope your ear thing turns out okay!