Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Strap Yer Hik'n Boots On!


We are planning on hiking Mount McLoughlin this coming Sunday. It is the only day that John can go so we might do a Saturday trip again soon for those who cannot make this one.



DID YOU KNOW? (the bullet links go to wikipedia pages)





  • The Cascade Arc includes nearly 20 major volcanoes
  • Volcanism in the arc began about 37 million years ago, however, most of the present-day Cascade volcanoes are less than 2,000,000 years old, and the highest peaks are less than 100,000 years old. Twelve volcanoes in the arc are over 10,000 ft (3,000 m) in elevation, and the two highest, Mount Rainier and Mount Shasta, exceed 14,000 ft (4,300 m).

I found all the information here from Wikipedia. There is also this coolio WikiMapia of the mountain from a satellite/hybrid view.

It should be loads of fun. I haven't gotten to hike it for ages and have been looking forward to it. September was quite hot so we had to wait, but now it's a lot cooler... there may be a bit of snow too...? Ben and I are hoping to do some snowshoeing this year up there as well. We missed it last season. Hope to see you there!


2 comments:

zachariah said...

If I had any miles left I'd be there!! I just burned up the rest of my Northwest miles to pay for part of the family trip to Texas for a Christmas wedding. I miss living near family, mountains, and the pacific northwest. Thanks for the cool wiki's.

Molly said...

it's ok! If I had paid attention to the Wikimapia I'd have noticed the larqe quantities of snow on the entire mountain!

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=42.446705&lon=-122.316113&z=14&l=0&m=a

I am DEFINITELY going camping next summer when you guys come to visit!