Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Man's Project!


I have been wanting to build a TV stand for my big screen for quite sometime now. I have a "friend" of mine who said he would help me with this manly task about a year ago. I purchased the materials for the job at that time. I have had a huge piece of MFR,very thick strong pressed board, in my garage for the past year. It was very large and always in the way. I was getting tired of waiting for my "friend" to help me so I decided to tackle the job myself. The reason I was waiting for his help was mainly to have someone help me lift the very awkward 250lb TV. He was also a cabinet maker and had a decorative idea in mind for the stand. This monday I was tired of waiting so I cut the wood and decided to do a simple "dorm" style TV stand. I used 4 cinder blocks and two pieces of the MFR. I pre-assembled the stand in the garage to make sure it was strong enough and then carted everything in to the house. I cleared out the living room and moved the TV out of the way. I set up the stand and then had to figure out how to lift this thing myself, like a man! I ended up using a car jack, an extra cinder block and some motorcycle tie down straps, all very manly things! It took some very creative thinking, but eventually my TV was safely on the new "dorm" style TV stand. It is now about a foot higher and we really like the new angle. I am leaving it up to the wife to decorate the stand. That is a woman's job!!

6 comments:

Molly said...

oh goodness! I am in tears laughing!

Good job babe! I seriously don't know how he didn't break his back! I am totally impressed!!

(we will figure out the picture thing... hmmm...)

Ben said...

yardy ha ha. That was a very entertaining post. Do more...

Rochelle said...

Oh! I loved it! hahahahaha......I was over there today and didn't even notice it! LOL Of course I would have noticed it if I'd gone in the living room. Man John....you're such a manly Man....really I thought so even before this. Great to have you on board as a poster. Keep it up!

zachariah said...

Nice job! I especially like the use of the floor jack, probably did more for you then the friend would have.

Dan said...

Hay, you did it the manly way, all by yourself.
I wasn't sure who's living room that was at first.
Looks great, we'll have test it out.
Dad

Megan and Greg said...

Wow! Very ambitious. Car jack- never would have thought of that, but hey! It worked!That picture is funny.