Thursday, February 28, 2008

Inchworm: 31 wks

BabyCenter.com Updates:

  • This week, Inchworm measures over 16 inches long.
  • He weighs about 3.3 pounds (try carrying four navel oranges) and is heading into a growth spurt.
  • He can turn his head from side to side, and his arms, legs, and body are beginning to plump out as needed fat accumulates underneath his skin.

My Updates:

Dominic has taken to rolling, pushing, hiccuping, kicking, wiggling toes, pinching with his toes, tugging on my belly-button... you name it for the majority of my normal 10-hour workday. He calms down a lot in the evening with only a little bit of movement and generally sleeps all night.... unless I disrupt his comfortable position by turning over, he'll give me one big kick or flop before settling back down to sleep again.

We have just started reading the trilogy, His Dark Materials, better known by the recent movie The Golden Compass, which is the first book of three (the other two: The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass). It's created such a ruckus amongst the "christian" world because the author, Philip Pullman, is Atheiest and "he's trying to push it onto your children as they read this book". OK, Hogwash! Same people that complained about Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. Anyway, we're only a few chapters into book one and it's pretty good. We did see the movie, which was creative, but choppy on the storyline. We were looking for another book to read together and a friend suggested reading these about 8-months ago.

Let's see, in other news...I've changed my "baby shower" / Open House date to April 5th because little miss Shannon decided to get married that weekend. I still have to send out invites (luckily).

We have Lamaze classes all day Saturday and Sunday (9am - 4pm) this weekend. Yay! Following Saturday's session, we're going to shop around for a few baby accessories. Mainly larger items like the car seat, stroller and carrier. John is in charge of the car seat research. :D

Lastly, John's been working hard on "Man Project #2" which we will try to post about this weekend. This was an unbelievable project and I don't envy him. He's been taking pictures of it's progress and it should be complete by Saturday or Sunday evening.

Anyhow... that's the latest.

3 comments:

fiona said...

Oh, he's gettin' big!! Four oranges, huh...

Z and I just finished reading the Golden Compass (separately, though we are reading a different book together :) I really liked it! I was wary b/c I'd heard a LOT of stuff about it and the author. But all a bunch of hooey, it's a good story. Now we need to get the next ones...

And "Man Project #2"? Can't wait to see it!

Rochelle said...

I'm currently reading Eragon. I love it. The Golden Compass trilogy is next on the list. I love Johns man projects. Can't wait to see what it is!

zachariah said...

I have come to believe that much fictional work that the Catholic church is against can be pretty interesting and well written. This doesn't mean I condone Atheism or anything like that, only that I can read a piece of fictional work and separate it from reality. I found the Golden Compass to be really good. I can see where the Catholic church would have issues with it, but it is a fictional piece of work and a fictional world that he created.