Monday, March 8, 2010

Easy Breakfast: GF Oatmeal


Gluten Free Steelcut Oats are thick and don't cook as gummy as regular oats. I didn't really like them the first time I cooked them up, but first, I don't think I cooked them long enough. They need to cook for at least 10 minutes.

Anyway - while boiling the water for the oats, cut up an apple into about 1/4 chunks. Alternately, you can shred the apple and add it to the cooking oats. I have done both and much prefer to have the chunks.



So if you shredded the apple, you're done with that part. If you chunked it, toss 'em in a pre-heated non-stick skillet and brown the sides. After they're browned, add it to the cooking oats. Then toast some plain, raw walnuts and chop them up fairly small (optional). I liked them roughly chopped in my "mincer/chopper" if you want them whole, go for it.

Add the walnuts to the oats. Finish cooking. After dishing up, I added about a teaspoon or less of agave. The apples made it sweet enough for me. Enjoy!





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

Megan and Greg said...

Man, Molly, somehow I missed your gluten free post. CRAZY!!! I had NO idea you were going thru all this. It sounds like you're well on your way to answers though, so that good. John's blog is cool. We had no idea he had one! Thanks for sharing!

Molly said...

Sorry everyone, I accidentally posted about Gluten Free Oatmeal on this blog, I meant for it to be on the www.serendipitykitchens.blogspot.comone. I was posting from my phone and forgot. oops. I'll leave it here.

...and Megan/Greg thanks. :) I am hopefully on my way to figuring all this out. I was tired of explaining to everyone. hahah.

fiona said...

Oooh, that does look like a nice, hearty-yet-healthy breakfast! I love nuts/sunflower seeds/coconut loaded onto my oatmeal.